top of page

CPA or Enrolled Agents: Who is the Best Tax Preparer?

Updated: Jan 19

Before we dive into the crux of the topic, CPA or Enrolled Agent, who is the better tax preparer, you need to understand why getting your taxes on record is pivotal to staying on the good side of the tax man.

  • Legal Compliance: Timely filing of your taxes ensures compliance with the tax laws and regulations.

  • Financial Transparency: Timely filing your taxes gives a transparent view of your financial status. It will keep you protected from falling onto the IRS radar for the wrong reasons.

  • Contribution to Public Service: Properly filing your taxes affirms that you are contributing your fair share to support the public sector that benefits society in manifold ways.

For DIYers, the pursuit of income tax filing becomes a laborious effort, not to mention a stressful and time-consuming event. However, if you don’t ignore the importance of hiring an IRS-enrolled agent or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) for tax preparation services, then things will be different because professionals have your back!

Now, this brings us to the topic – the differences between an Enrolled Agent and a CPA, and which would be best for you to hire for tax services?

Scroll through the post; it has details addressing the volley of questions popping into your mind regarding CPA and EA professionals.

Who is a CPA?

Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) are professionals skilled enough to handle the tax issues of an individual or a business effectively. CPAs are tax preparers who are equipped to play the following roles.

  • Financial Advisor

  • Accountants

  • Tax specialists

  • Financial Planner

  • Individual and Business Consultants

  • Chief Financial Officer

  • Auditor

Who is the Enrolled Agent?

Both Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents provide tax preparation services that can look after tax-related ambiguity for a business or an individual. The primary difference between the two revolves around the licensing authority. An Enrolled Agent (EA) obtains a license authorized by the federal government, specifically the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), whereas a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) acquires a license issued by one of the 55 U.S. states.

EAs possess extensive knowledge of all things that are related to tax. So, whether you require info about inheritance tax, income tax, tax planning, IRS or state representation, form 1040, or are looking for tax return service, EA is the right point tax preparer professional.

Who is the Best Professional for Tax Preparation?

Both will pave the way for you when it comes to getting your taxes on record. So, without sitting on fences too much and wondering who is the best CPAor EA? Rest assured, either choice of hire would be very beneficial and would make your life much easier. Are you searching online for a tax preparer near me? Then, no look further, stop by Burkin's Tax & Accounting; we are your trusted accounting partner and have pioneered income tax filing and small business accounting services within Vestal, Endicott, Johnson City, and Binghamton, NY. Schedule your appointment today.

42 views0 comments


bottom of page